Saturday, May 5, 2012

Running... with friends.

Last night was graduation for folks in my Masters program. Next year it will be my turn. It's got me thinking about the last time I graduated and all of the huge changes that followed. I graduated May 3rd and moved to Charlotte on May 8th, started my first big-girl job on May 9th.

I left behind most of my family, all of my friends, and my boyfriend at the time. I also left behind the comfort of the small town, the school that I had wandered around for the past 3 years, and memories made at our favorite bar that was just 2 blocks away. It was a big change. And I was reeling from it for a long time. I didn't give my new city much of a chance and went home every weekend or at least every other. I was lost without my circle of friends. And then the break up came in July 2008. That's when I turned to running.

I ran before that, but, without someone to spend the weekends with, or talk to at night, I had more time. I was doing a couple miles before work in the morning and then 6-7 more miles when I got off. I was eating healthier than ever, with oatmeal for breakfast, a banana at 10 A.M., a turkey wrap for lunch, and an apple at 2 PM. I rarely ate out (mostly because I was scared I'd get lost). I don't know whether to count that as a high time or low time in my life. But I do welcome change...

I've now been in Charlotte for almost 4 years (crazy!) and finally have friends. I've been hanging out with some girls from my old office, and the wives of my now boyfriend's friends, and I've made new friends in my Masters program. It's nice, but different. They can't replace my friends from college, but they are my now friends. I really only talk to a few of my "college friends" - you know those people that you thought would be there forever? They're not. Same with high school. You drift as you get on different paths in life. I still have my 5 best friends, three I met in high school, two in college. Those are my one-day bridesmaids.
I have been in my new job for 6 months as of today, and around this time next year, I will be walking across the stage getting my 2nd diploma. I'm excited to see what changes the next year brings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment