Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Running ... and cooling down.

My "run lists" have been a "running" joke with my friends for as long as I can remember. I like 80's and 90's music, slow songs and a lot of Dave Matthews + Jack Johnson. I could run to those two ALL DAY LONG. I do enjoy a good "fast song" and my favorite motivational song is "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC. As soon as I hear that beat, I am somehow magically able to push through the next leg (no pun intended) of my work out.

I tend to create/revise play lists for each race that I do, ensuring that I have enough music to cover the whole race. I had exactly 2:30 on my list for my first half marathon. I guess maybe that's one way to push myself and make sure I'm done before the music stops ("Please don't stop the music!") So, as race season is beginning, I'm working on updating, revising and creating new play lists for my upcoming 5k & 10k in March.

This post is not coming from my creation of new lists but instead comes from some excellent cool down music that was played in my Spin Class on Sunday and Group Power (a.k.a. Body Pump) last night. So here we go with the (my) top 5 cool-down songs: 

5. I Will Always Love You  - Whitney Houston (should we have a moment of silence here?)
4. Fix You - Coldplay (told ya I like slow (somewhat sad/sappy) songs)
3. You are the Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne (this will be played at my wedding, I love it so much!)
2. Hold On - Wilson Phillips (Bridesmaids, anyone?? "If you just hoooold on...")
1. If You Like Pina Coladas - Jimmy Buffet (this makes me crave smoothies)

What are your Top 5? Have a favorite un-changing playlist that you ALWAYS run to? Share it here!

2 comments:

  1. So funny I just stumbled upon this! I'm running a 5k in 2 weeks (I'm not much of a runner though), and I've been trying to put together a playlist too. I haaaate running to slow songs. I went to a cardio kickboxing class recently and they had some good upbeat songs (e.g. turn me on by nicki minaj and lmfao) but I still need a few more songs to add. hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your 5k! Here are some thoughts for songs: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/running-playlist - also, I still love running to Carrie Underwood's "guys like you", Cee-lo "Forget you" and AC/DC Thunderstruck. Although in my 5k this past weekend I just put Pandora on 80's music. Happy running!

    ReplyDelete