Thursday, March 22, 2012

Running.... for a cause!

I've done fundraising before with my runs, mostly with my sorority or for Colon Cancer over the past few years when both my family and my boyfriend's family had incidences of the disease. I have a friend though, who has a toddler with Cystic Fibrosis and she was doing a fundraiser to help find a cure. I thought, I can help. I'll run for Keagan when I do the Cooper River Bridge Run. Keagan's mom made shirts for everyone who is going to participate in the Great Strides walk in Alabama, so I ordered one too - which I plan on wearing in the Cooper River Bridge Run.
I knew Cystic Fibrosis wasn't a good thing, but until I did some research, I had no clue how bad it could actually be. Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease affecting mostly the lungs, but also the pancreas, liver and intestine. Difficulty breathing is the most serious symptom and results from frequent lung infections that are treated with but not cured, by antibiotics and other medications. Other symptoms include sinus infections, poor growth, diarrhea and affect other parts of the body. Ultimately, lung transplantation is often necessary as CF worsens.

It's hard to think of a two-year old having to go through these treatments and not be able to enjoy running outside or playing with his friends because he has to be at the hospital doing a breathing treatment. I want to help in every way I can. My donation has been made, you can make yours by going here: Help Fight Cystic Fibrosis.


No comments:

Post a Comment