Monday, June 18, 2012

Running...a trail run on accident!

I signed up for a 5k spontaneously.... as evidenced by the 30 minute drive from my house to its location. My boyfriend said he preferred to run it with me than to stand at the finish line, so he signed up as well. We got to the park where it was being held and I didn't see pavement anywhere... odd for a road race, I thought, but somehow still assumed that the run would be on asphalt. WRONG... dirt/gravel/sand was our terrain... along with some hills and a backside that had been washed out. My quads are screaming at me right now, wondering what the hell I was thinking running on trails for the first time in my minimalist shoes without training. Quite the surprise....

I finished 8/26 in my 20-29 age group, so not too bad, but my time was definitely not what I expected for this supposed "fast" 5k that I had signed up for. Oh well, live & learn. Now we know we CAN run trails but somehow still prefer the feel of asphalt and hardness under our feet. 

Now to go put Biofreeze on to get me through the day at work...."OMG - ouch my glutes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment