Monday, January 2, 2012

Running... into the new year!

It's 2012. Almost hard to believe how fast 2011 flew by, but sure enough, here we are in a new year. Definitely ready for all of the new and exciting things 2012 is sure to bring. 


Instead of doing resolutions, we do a "word" for each year that we live by for that year. Last year, mine was motivation. I had done some races in 2010 but none of which I was overjoyed with my results. I was in a job that was considered a good job, but I couldn't seem to move out of my position there and was falling into a rut. I also missed school. So for 2011, my word was MOTIVATION... but it might should have been Accomplished. I did 9 races, including my first half marathon in which I ran the whole time. I got into grad school and successfully completed my first semester. And, I got a new job, in Marketing & Communications, which is not only what I was longing to do, but it's something I can call a career. 





I've had a hard time coming up with a word for 2012. It feels like I accomplished everything I desired to in 2011. I have a list of things that I would like to do in 2012, but haven't been able to come up with a word. I searched for meaning in everything, hoping a word would jump out at me, while we were in Wilmington ringing in the new year. I came across smurfs in the sand... and these were no normal smurfs, they were like little, blue, sand warriors, so maybe my word should be FIGHT. Then there was the washed up jelly fish, which of course just laid there, so I thought maybe my word should be STILL (Free from disturbance, agitation, or commotion). There were rose petals scattered along the sand, which made me think of Love. But I was there with my boyfriend of more than two & a half years, so I'm not really in the market for new love, and I have an amazing family that I love dearly, so rejuvenating relationships didn't really make sense either. I was literally at a loss for words. 

So, I think I will follow my list for 2012:

  1. Be more active in the community - Young Leaders, Young Affiliates, Habitat for Humanity, GOTR
  2. Run a race every month, or at least 12 in the year, and do a 1/2 marathon at least 10 minutes faster than my last one
  3. Cook more, and eat healthier (I have a pretty clean diet, minus the chocolate obsession)
  4. Work out more with my boyfriend, including taking classes for strength training (not just running!)
  5. Travel and explore more states and countries (hoping for another tropical vacay this year... if it's a honeymoon, I'd be okay with that!)
  6. Reconnect with old friends.... definitely plan a trip to Florida to spend some time with my college roommate
  7. Spend more time with family. Life gets crazy with work and school and my constant need to run, so sometimes I put trips to Virginia on the back burner, but no more.... 
  8. Get straight A's in school. I am a bit of a procrastinator and know I don't do my best work when it's coming down to the wire, so this year, I will have more focus on school. 
  9. Be a better friend. Again with the life gets crazy talk... it's hard when my "best" friends are spread out in Swansboro, Cape Carteret, West Palm Beach, Greenville and Wilmington. So I will make more time to talk, and hopefully see them as well
  10. Enjoy life. Sometimes I get so busy planning and doing that I don't take time to enjoy, so this year, I will enjoy. 
And maybe, just maybe, my word for 2012 should be Patience. And I will just be patient and let things happen as they will. I was motivated last year to make things happen, so in 2012, I will let them, and leave them in God's hands. 
                                                       
*all pictures taken on Wrightsville Beach, NC 

No comments:

Post a Comment