Sunday, January 22, 2012

Running ... in Boston

Tomorrow, I am traveling to Boston for work. Yes, in January. I was not the brains behind this planning. Regardless, I will be in Boston, in January, when it snowed all weekend. AWESOME. (Have I mentioned before how I am ALWAYS cold... and hate it??) So I was talking to my colleagues in Boston on Friday and I asked them about running. Heather is training for the Boston marathon and I guess her blood is used to freezing on her 15 mile runs but mine, is not. She said, and I quote, "I try not to run if it's below 25." HA. I try not to run if it's below 50. That might be a slight exaggeration but seriously, 25? No way, Jose. My teeth would break from chattering so much.

So my office is right by the Boston Common and my hotel is in Back Bay which means I have some pretty awesome places to run - and generally, I would take advantage of this. One of my favorite traveling runs was in Savannah when we ran through Forsyth park and ran straight to this adorable cafe for breakfast. While I'm not sure I can handle running outside on this upcoming venture, I do still plan on running. My hotel has a nice gym, and I'm actually switching hotels on Friday to stay the weekend and explore the city with my sweet boyfriend who is coming up to visit. Oh, did I mention they are sending me to Boston, in January, during my birthday week? So sweet.


I found this running club that meets on Saturdays and Sundays and runs through the city. It's a 5k route but over an hour and a half, so let's just say it's a very slow pace. They give lots of opportunities to stop and take pictures on the route, which is cool. We're a little hesitant to commit to this since it starts at 8 am and is in Boston in January. Maybe on Saturday afternoon it will be warm (not freezing) enough to go for a run outside. We just signed up for the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston so the bf has to start ramping up his mileage. It's his first 10k, and will also be the first time he has ever run more than 3.2 miles. I'm excited to help him train and train with him for the race. I remember how proud he was after his first 5k, and then his 2nd and 3rd when he ran the whole thing and his 4th when he got a new PR. It will certainly be an exciting time. My goal for this one is sub 50 minutes, but that will require some training. Got in 3 miles yesterday in 25:40... a little slower than normal for 5k pace but I was on a treadmill thanks to a million inches of rain.

Anyway, new stories to come from running in Boston... in January. Wish me luck and warmth!

No comments:

Post a Comment