Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Running... thru Winter diets!

Winter makes it really hard to keep eating as healthy as I do through the rest of the year. Most of the time, I choose organic produce, try not to eat anything processed and NEVER eat fast food; but, there's something about Winter that makes me want to eat every ounce of hearty food that I can find, including creamy soups like she-crab, lobster bisque and clam chowder (seafood lover!). Today, the high in Charlotte was 38 degrees which is FREEZING to me, but my hometown in Virginia had a high of 19 degrees today, so I guess I should be thrilled by the 38 degree temps in Charlotte. 


Yesterday, I had shrimp & grits at Hickory Tavern... which by itself is not so bad, but it was loaded with cheese and mushrooms (which had been sautéed). Lately, I've been completely and utterly obsessed with McAlister's Chicken Tortilla soup (they serve it on Tuesdays and Fridays each week!). I'm a salad lover at heart, but recently, I've been choosing sides like green bean casserole or roasted potatoes instead of my normal "house salad with lemon slices for dressing."So, if I have love handles in the winter, you now know why!


So tonight, I decided I will not order a tray of Mac's wings to enjoy while we watch the Virginia Tech/Michigan game, but instead, I am whipping up the easiest chili in the world - and making it with ground turkey! The whole thing takes about 45 minutes to make and makes enough for leftovers which equals lunch tomorrow. My boyfriend is on the usual "don't eat bad this year" kick that most people go through at the beginning of the year and he is opting for no cornbread, so our meal this evening is even healthier. 


The chili is simmering right now - if you'd like to make your own - here's the recipe:

  • 1 large can of Hunt's tomato sauce (or any brand, that's just what I used)
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 1 can of light red kidney beans
  • 1 can of dark red kidney beans
  • 1 can of black beans (extra fiber!)
  • 1 can of Rotel (original or hot depending on your preference)
  • 1 lb. of ground turkey (I use the Jennie-O brand)
  1. start browning the turkey in a skillet 
  2. drain all 3 cans of beans into a colander and rinse well 
  3. also drain the can of Rotel, but DO NOT RINSE
  4. Chop up onion/dice in size of prefence
  5. Mix tomato sauce, beans and Rotel and add turkey when ready
  6. Add 1/8 tbsp chili powder, 1/8 tbsp ground cayenne red pepper, dash of garlic powder (optional)
  7. Once the pot is bubbling, turn it down and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes
  8. Optional: top with cheddar cheese, jalepenos and low fat sour cream
Enjoy some hearty (and healthy!) chili and cheer for the HOKIES! Time to win the Sugar Bowl baby!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment