Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Running... and giving blood.

Let's just say that I have not had the best experiences giving blood. I first tried when I was 18 and I was told that the blood was coming too slowly out of my veins, so they removed the needle. Unsuccessful donation - but I do think I got to miss part of a math class for that, so it was probably worth being poked and prodded at the time.

My work occasionally does donations with the Red Cross and Community Blood Center - both of which I've had issues. The first time I donated, it took them over an hour to get me in and out. I swear it takes longer to do the paperwork than it does to actually get the blood out. And EVERY time I try to donate, the first "test" prick of my finger deems me anemic, so I have to get stuck in the other hand a second time to show that I'm not.

In 2009, I donated with the Red Cross. As I walked into the unit, there was a worker standing outside smoking. Sure, here I am about to give blood to hopefully save lives, and you're out here slowly killing yourself and anyone breathing in the smoke that walks by? Awesome. Of course we went through the pricking of both hands to prove I was not anemic... and then I had to wait for a bed to come open. Yep, once again, over an hour.

I also donated with Community Blood Center at the next time I was eligible in 2009. I was pricked twice in  the fingers - sure enough, I'm not anemic. Had to go through extensive questioning about my travel outside of the US because I had just returned from Jamaica - which had no issues with Malaria so therefore, it did not require the extensive questioning. Fast forward to the donation... the idiot said they couldn't find a vein (never been a problem for anyone else) so I got poked in both arms. However, my issue with this donation, was the point in which he jerked the needle out of my arm, leaving it bruised for 3 weeks. Oh - and this session took over 2 hours. RIDICULOUS.

I refused to donate for a while after that. Actually, until late in 2011, I didn't even consider donating. But I did decide after the horrible tornadoes the South experienced last Spring that I should donate. Community Blood Center was holding a donation at our office, so I signed up for a 9 AM slot. The earlier you get in, the earlier you get out. I went through the whole process of questions and pricking my fingers and then the nurse asked how much I weighed. "119" I proudly responded. And I was told to leave. Apparently Community Blood Center has a 120 lb. weight limit when the Red Cross only requires that you be 110. Seriously though, do you think 1 lb. makes THAT much of a difference? I was irritated that I wasted 30 minutes of my time to be told I couldn't donate. I was later informed that of 33 people that signed up, they only let 9 donate for reasons such as not weighing enough, having a history of cancer, and a heart rate that was too fast. Can't be picky if you want to save lives!

I donated last week with Community Blood Center. I filled out my paperwork and waited on the nurse. She had someone hovering over her with the person that was in front of me... it took me a minute to realize that this meant she was in training. Of course. I could never just walk in and donate blood like I'd like to. She pricked my finger somewhere around my first knuckle. Obviously this didn't work. The second prick, my hemoglobin was at 12.4... has to be at 12.5 to donate. So we went to the left hand... and it was 14.7, good to go. The actual donation took 6 minutes - yet I was in there for over 45.

I wonder if it's any faster to go to a clinic, or if these people care about their jobs at all. You'd think they would have the process down at this point. Maybe they should read about Giddens and the Modernity theory.

Anyway - they always tell me not to run after a donation... but they stress me out so much it's the only thing I can think of doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment