Sunday, February 19, 2012

Running... on the beach.

Can you think of a more perfect way to start the day than a 3-mile run on the beach? Okay... it was February and 66 degrees outside... I mean seriously, does it get anymore perfect than that? We are in mid-training for the Cooper River Bridge Run, and even on vacation, we stick to our fitness plan. We were up and out the door, with the sand beneath our toes and that sweet, salty air blowing in our faces. Perfect, I tell ya.
The BF is still "working up" to his 6 mile run on March 31st. I'm a 10-k veteran, but haven't done one in well over a year so training is a must. He wanted to go for 2 miles, so I agreed to run 2, and we could walk 1. Compromise... right?
Since I have the Garmin 305, I am always in charge of monitoring our mileage. So off we went... pounding away. We actually slowed down our pace for this run, because running on sand is a lot harder on your legs than running on a sidewalk. Plus, on Wednesday, I did my Jillian Michaels 30-day shred video and on Thursday, I did Group Power (the equivalent of Body Pump) with my friend Katie - so prior to the run my legs were already burning, and about a minute in, it felt like they were going to fall off. Telling myself that I have to set a good example for my BF in training, I never walk first (it may also have something to do with my extremely competitive nature).
We could not have asked for a more gorgeous day to be out there running. I encouraged (or "tricked" as he called it) the BF into running 2.25 miles and only walking 3/4 of a mile. He did it. No problems. I just wanted him to prove to himself that he is capable of it and doesn't have to work up to it at such a slow pace. I promised to never do that to him again, but I was secretly very happy that I did and that he succeeded in the extra 1/4 mile without any issues. Now... we just have to add 3.4 more miles to that total.
Side note: It rained ALL day today and started sleeting/snowing around 6 PM. Let me reiterate what a B-E-A-UTIFUL day it was on Saturday to be running on the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment