Sunday, February 5, 2012

Running... thru February!

I'm a little behind in my blogging and let me explain why. As my last post says, I was sent to Boston for work for a week. It was actually an amazing week (blog & pics coming soon) but then I got back into town (no thanks to Delta) at 10:30 pm on Sunday and not only had work on Monday, but also grad school. It was a long day. Tuesday is dedicated to doing my Wednesday night class's homework and then Wednesday, I obviously have class. Thursday we left for Virginia to see the Duke & Virginia tech game. Anyway - somewhere in between all of this traveling, I have found myself with a cold.

It could be that I went from mid 60's weather in Charlotte, to mid 40's in Boston, to upper 50's in Atlanta to 60's in Charlotte to 50's in Virginia and back to 60's in Charlotte, just with some rain. So yes, today I am sitting on the couch with my Dayquil handy, cough drops and surrounded by tissues. Happy Super Bowl Sunday, everyone. Sounds like a blast, right? I actually thought I was getting better earlier in the week but yesterday I took a turn for the worse.

So, while in Boston, my friend Erica and I were sending each other motivating texts each morning reminding the other to work out. Erica lives in Florida and is too far away from me for my liking, so the best we can do as far as working out together is to stay up to date with each other to get assurance that we are actually working out. Sometimes I text her pictures of my treadmill workouts and she'll send me a run down of all the sabotages her day has presented, but then confirms that she has actually made it to the gym. It's nice to have someone there that holds you accountable for what you said you're going to do.

I decided that I would work out every day in February as a pledge to myself and I had thought I would share my plan with Erica so that we could continue motivating and inspiring each other - but then I got sick. I've worked out everyday this month thus far, but the thought of spin class this morning made me shudder. I can hardly breathe, can't swallow and cough every 2 seconds, I'm pretty sure I might have died if I had actually gone to spin class.

I actually think I might be worse today because yesterday I had the superb plan of "sweating it out" at the gym. This plan works 0% of the time for my body. Tried it in college -ended up with the full blown flu for a week, lost 12 pounds, but not before my fellow gym goers told me that I was turning "green." I feel like that was not meant in the positive way that "going green" is today. So yesterday, I did a 2 mile run and a full body work out lasting an hour at the gym, and today I am miserable. I think the lesson learned from this is that life won't always go your way, even if you have plans... so you have to be resilient and versatile. Tomorrow, if I'm feeling better, I plan to walk during lunch.. I'm not going to do a 2/a day work out to make up for today, but I will get back on track. And hopefully, Erica will send me a fabulously motivating "good morning, get your ass to the gym soon" text.

No comments:

Post a Comment